Punjabi kadhi pakora recipe – popular north Indian recipe of Punjabi kadhi pakora. fried onion pakoras in a creamy & sour yogurt sauce.
Making curd mixture for kadhi:
1. in a bowl take 1.5 cups sour curd or about 375 grams of curd. whisk it well till smooth
2. add 8 tbsp gram flour, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp garammasala
3. powder and 1 tsp salt to the whisked curd.
4. stir and mix everything again.
5. add 3 cups water and stir again.
6. stir very well to make a smooth mixture without lumps. if there are lumps, then break them with a wired whisk or a spatula or with your fingers. keep the curd mixture aside.
7. you can use a blender to make this mixture, but make sure you don’t over do it. you will get butter instead of a smooth blended curd.
Making onion pakoras for punjabikadhi:
1. take the 1 cup gram flour/besan in a bowl and add ½ tsp ajwain/carom seeds, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp garammasala powder and ⅔ tsp salt or as required.
2. add 1 cup thinly sliced onions.
3. mix everything well and keep aside covered for 30 minutes.
4. this will allow the onions to release their water in the mixture. depending on the water content in the onions, the mixture will become very moist or just about moist.
5. then accordingly add water as required to make a thick batter. i added ¼ cup water.
6. heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai. with a spoon or with your hands drop the pakora batter in the oil.
7. when the pakoras are partly cooked, then turn over and fry the other side.
1. in another pan or kadai, heat 2 tbsp mustard oil. make sure to use a large bottomed pot so that while boiling, the kadhi does not spill.
2. add the 1 tsp cumin seeds, 8 to 10 methi seeds and a generous pinch of asafoetida. allow the cumin seeds to crackle and the methi seeds to change their color. fry on a low flame, so that these spices do not get burnt.
3. add⅓ cup chopped onion. stir and saute for 3 minutes on a low flame.
4. then add 1 tbsp chopped ginger/adrak, ¾ to 1 tbsp chopped garlic and 2 green chillies, chopped. stir and saute for a minute.
5. now add 8 to 10 curry leaves, 2 dry red chilies (halved or broken). stir and saute for a minute on a low flame.
6. then add the curd mixture.
7. stir very well.
8. keep on stirring often so that the bottom does not get browned. time taken to cook the kadhi will be around 14 to 16 minutes.
9. after the kadhi has come to a boil, then lower the flame and simmer the kadhi for more 6 to 7 minutes. thekadhi will thicken.
10. now add the onion pakoras in the kadhi. stir gently.
11. cover the kadhi with a lid and let the onion pakoras be soaked in the kadhi for 8 to 10 minutes.
12. lastly sprinkle some garammasala powder on the punjabikadhi.