khandvi – soft, melt in the mouth, spiced and seasoned gram flour rolls. a favorite snack from the gujarati cuisine.
1.take the yogurt in a bowl. add water and stir well till smooth.
2. Add ginger-green chili paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt.
3. if using fresh yogurt, then to add the sourness, add about ½ tsp of lemon juice.
4.Add the gram flour/besan. with a wired whisk, keep on stirring and mixing till all the lumps are dissolved and you get a smooth batter. there should be no lumps in the batter. you can also use a hand held beater to mix the batter.
5. spread oil on plates or boards or tray. .
6. Also mix the chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut. keep aside.
7. pour the batter in a sauce pan or a broad frying pan. switch on the stove top and keep the flame to the lowest. begin to stir.
8. keep on stirring when the khandvi batter is getting heated up. lumps begin to form and you have to continuously stir so that the lumps don’t form.
9. the batter would thicken and keep on thickening. keep on stirring.
10. Do a plate test when the batter has thickened well.
11. spread a few teaspoons of the batter on a greased plate. let it cool a bit and then begin to roll. if you are unable to roll, then the batter needs to be cooked more.
12. Quickly pour about ½ to ⅔ cup of batter on a large plate and spread thinly & evenly with a spatula. you have to be quick with the remaining batter too. since even a bit of cooling and the batter becomes likes blob, difficult to spread.
13. Garnish with the coconut and coriander once you temper the khandvi rolls.
14. cut into equal sized strips.
15. Gently roll each strip tightly. then place them in a serving tray or plate.