1.Wash and soak daal for 15 minutes. Then pressure cook it till very soft (4 whistles).
2. Cool cooker and remove drain water from daal and save.
3. Knead the kokams between fingers. Then press out and remove.
4. Keep the water aside. Then grind daal to a fine paste either on stone or in a mixie.
5. Mix with water and residual water of daal. Blend well till smooth.
6. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add seeds, curry leaves, allow to splutter.
7. Add slit chillies, cloves, bay leaf, and saute for one minute.
8. Add kokam water. Make paste of masalas in 1/4 cup water.
9. Add paste, fry further for one minute. Add daal, bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
10.Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot